Wednesday 18 December 2013

Back Home

There wasn't too much snow in Bishop Auckland but there was big snowdrifts in Bowes. I didn't recognise the route we took as it was all new to me but fortunately the girls knew the way and they kept telling me where we were. On the approach to the drive the car got stuck in the snow but we managed to reverse and continued down the drive at the second attempt. We got into the house and all was quiet and then Liz came through followed by a little dog. At first Megan did not move as too many people in the kitchen, she saw me and then went mad really excited to see me. 
I then had to do some tests to prove that I was able to manage at home. These were passed with flying colours The nurses then left me. The dog was still a bit unsure of me and was sulking because I had said I will not be long when I left her in February to go shopping. 
It was strange having to learn where every thing was in a house like what was in each cupboard and where  each room was. But it was nice to be home and sleeping in my own bed, we had to swap sides so I could get in and out easier. On the evening I was able to watch the news on television for the first time since my stroke as there was no television in hospital. This felt very strange but I soon got used to it again. My biggest problem was that I could not read and therefore I could not catch up on my magazines. 
Being at home meant I could go outside to see my land and buildings and the sheep we still had huge snowdrifts which lasted for weeks, they were as high as the summer house roof. 
I had achieved my first goal for getting home before the lambs were born so I had to set new goals. My first goal was to get walking again. I challenged myself  to walk to the end of the drive which is about 250 meters this was quite a challenge as it is uphill 50% of the way. I did this very slowly with the little dog by my side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment