Sunday 29 December 2013

Therapies

The standard package for a stroke victim is 6 weeks of physio and 6 weeks of speech therapy. This is ridiculous and very inadequate, one size does not fit all. For example in my case I couldn't learn to read in 6 weeks. Also I was eager to get movement back in my arm and working hard with Sarah the physio but the system says sessions have to stop.  Someone needs to sort this out!

After 6 weeks of the speech therapy which I felt was not helping, I was told I would have to have 8 weeks off before being considered for more therapy. 
Physio was stopped after 6 weeks but Sarah suggested I self referred for more therapy. During this time my arm started to move which was very exciting, then Sarah dropped the bomb shell that I couldn't have any more therapy as I had already had too much! More annoying was a fellow patient was over 19 stone and was receiving therapy because she was struggling to walk and had to use a wheel chair. My view is this type of person should be given a diet sheet and told to come back when they have lost a few stones.
I was extremely frustrated as I felt I hadn't progressed at all with the speech therapy I had received, over the 8 week break I was given similar exercises to complete.  I showed these to Ann a friend who comes to see me each week and she agreed they were not what I needed.  She came up with a number of ideas and suggestions to help me as she realised my problem was a type of dyslexia caused by my brain injury. Not being able to read or write is very frustrating and I suppose it is difficult for other people to understand this when normally it is something we just take for granted. Ann has been brilliant because she does understand and has really tried to help me.

I couldn't wait to start at the aphasia centre in Newcastle University and just hoped they would be able to help me.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Chris, can appreciate how much effort you have put in to write this. Go get em! Joanx

    ReplyDelete