Friday 6 December 2013

Coming home

Sat in my hospital ward in Bishop Auckland I was unaware of the problems people were having because of the snow. The nurses told me they had struggled to get into work and that buses had been cancelled etc but it did not register with me. I could see snow on the rooftops but it didn't seem too bad.
As part of my preparation for going home Liz John and myself had met with social services, they were keen to send carers round three times a day to get me up, make my lunch and to put  me to bed. Liz was not keen but thought perhaps my condition was too bad she would  not be able to manage, (at the rehab hospital relatives are asked to leave at meal times and not there when patients get up, showered etc. it would be better if partners were also shown what to do. 
Liz had received a phone call on the Friday morning from the carers saying they had done a risk assessment early because of the snow and would have to come early to put me to bed. Liz told them I had not come home and there was no way A 50 year old man would go to bed early in the after noon. She cancelled the arrangement. 
On Friday night the snow came with a vengeance roads were blocked huge snowdrifts the poor sheep farmers who had started lambing were having dreadful problems. 
Liz came to see me on the Saturday but had to come by taxi as she couldn't even get the Land Rover out of our driveway. Good job I wasn't at home as I may have been waiting for a carer to get me up! 
I was worrying I wouldn't be allowed to go home until the snow thawed but I think Liz was determined to get the drive dug out. On Sunday morning Liz was digging  snow when a Graham from the village arrived with his wife Sue and a another friend Gillian to help dig the snow The drifts were very deep and it took a long time but the Land Rover would now come out. 
I was beginning to get nervous and excited about going home. It had been a long time since I set out to go shopping one Saturday morning in February. I was also a little nervous that I wouldn't pass The home assessment and would have to return to hospital. One of my neighbours on the ward had gone home but couldn't manage the stairs and had come back. 
On the Sunday afternoon Liz' brother Tony came and they set about giving me a shave as they said I looked like  Robinson Crusoe this is one of the downside all being in hospital a long time - no one gives you a shave. 
The big day arrived 25 March 2013 I can go home! 

No comments:

Post a Comment