Friday 29 November 2013

Setbacks

You will remember one of the goals I had been set by Liz was to be home in time for lambing.  Time was getting on and the lambs were due in April.
My physio was coming on well with my leg but there was no movement in my arm.
 I was getting very concerned about my eyes and both Liz and I kept trying to ask what exactly the problem was but all we were told was it is normal with a stroke.
One afternoon the speech therapist told me and my three neighbours that we were all going to a group   speech therapy session. I didn't want to go but there was no choice. I certainly didn't enjoy the session as my speech or lack of speech meant I couldn't join in very well. My talkative neighbour  made up for all of us!
When I got back to the ward I collapsed, I felt really ill and very very cold. The nurses came and took my temperature and said that it was very high.  I had a dreadful fever. They are brought a fan to cool me down but I was complaining because I felt so cold. For days I was very ill, I had antibiotics intravenously but when Liz asked why she was told it was just a precaution. 
Physio and one of the speech therapists stop coming to me. But the good speech therapist kept coming. 
After two weeks there was talk of me going home! At last! 
Occupational therapy discussed with Liz a date when they could visit my home to see what equipment I would need.
This visit went ahead and a date was fixed for me to go on a home assessment trial to see how I got on.
If I could manage I would be able to stay. But what ever happened I would see my little dog.
The day I was due to go home  Liz had a phone call to say I couldn't leave hospital and by home visit was cancelled for medical reasons.
This was the day Liz flipped! She came rushing to the hospital thinking the worst. Liz demanded to see the head doctor to find out what was going on. Apparently the medical staff and occupational therapy had not had a discussion about me going home. OT did not know I had an infection which the medical staff were worried about. Liz pointed out we had also not being told this and asked what it was. Streptococcus bovis she was told (A symptom of bowel cancer) (it is also very prevalent in sheep !!) Liz was really cross and said if we had been told we could have told them we keep sheep.
As I had is missed my visit home I would have to wait until after the weekend, this was very disappointing but only a few more days.
And then down worst thing happened SNOW!   Even though it was late March the worst snow since me 1970s arrived blocking  roads with huge snowdrifts. Living on the North Pennines this was a major problem.


1 comment:

  1. Chris, it's fantastic (and really valuable) to have your perspective on things. Looking forward to reading the rest of your story.

    ReplyDelete