Wednesday 15 January 2014

Eight weeks into course

It was possible to see how everyone was progressing within the group.
In my own case I was starting to read and write which was something I couldn't do after my stroke. Progress is very slow and it is like being at infant school all over again, I can't for instance read a newspaper but was beginning to recognise some letters and words. On a bad day it all went to pot again!
With Robin he was starting to say good morning which was something he couldn't do before and was a great break through.
One of my best tricks with the students was telling them that I was too tired to work today so they would suggest we should do something simple, then I would laugh and say no let's get stuck into it. At times I had difficulty understanding one of the Irish students and with me having speech problems it could be a bit of a problem but we always got through it in the end.

In the large group sessions it was up to 2 of the students to lead the session and the other students would mix with the rest of us and take part in the exercises.  This was a good way of teaching and learning both for us and also for the students.

One of the things both the tutor and the students encouraged me to do was to start using my iPad more.  They taught me a number of things it could do to help me including reading out loud, so for example I could get it to read my emails (up to now Liz had had to read everything to me) it could also read the News and my twitter account which was great.
They also showed me how I could reply to emails and tweets using the speech function, at first the iPad couldn't understand me but gradually it has got used to how I speak.
They then suggested I started writing a blog, which is what you are reading now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment