Friday 17 January 2014

The final lap

Just as I had got into the swing of university life and using the Quayside bus talk started about life after the course finished.

One event during the last few weeks was the other group of four ie Robin, Geoff, Bill and David went to a cafe and had to order their own food and drink.  They practised for this outing in the university coffee room first and then did it for real. I wish I had been the waiter!

Jean, Carl and Linda were all working on a leaflet/poster aimed at making people aware of Aphasia. I was left on my own to do my blog! 

The last 2 weeks of 1-1 sessions were taken up with with reading and learning and with assessments, we were assessed when we started and these latest ones were to see how we had progressed over the weeks.

On the last day my group of 4 ie Jean, Linda, Carl and me had to do a presentations of the work we had prepared,  to the other group, tutors and students and also invited family members.  In my case both Liz and my son John attended.  
Jean, Linda and Carl presented their leaflets and I had to do a presentation about my blog with my able assistant Laura.  I was very nervous doing this as it had been almost a year since I had done anything like this!  I think both Liz and John were pleased with me and John got a shock at how well I had progressed
The one message we all tried to get across was WE HAVE APHASIA WE ARE NOT STUPID

I then had to go and do yet more assessments before Nadine went  through how I had progressed with Liz, John and myself.  It was good to see I had improved although still a long way to go.

We were then treated to a lovely Buffet lunch and then the students had prepared a Christmas party with games and quizzes.  Our team was pleased to win 2 prizes - chocolate coins and chocolate sprouts! 

As a parting gift (!) I was given a folder containing lots of homework which the students had put together.

It was then time to leave and it was sad to say goodbye to the students and tutors and also to my fellow aphasia sufferers.

I would like to thank the tutors and students for helping me get this far and encouraging me to use my iPad more and to start this blog.  Hopefully I will meet some of them again.

Fiona (The Boss).  Me (pupil). Nadine (student)



1 comment:

  1. It was a great last day Chris. Hope all the homework is keeping you busy! Thank you for referring to me as an 'able' assistant!

    ReplyDelete