Friday 3 January 2014

First week at "school"

1st October I started at the Aphasia Centre at Newcastle University on an 11 week course.
Liz and I travelled up to Newcastle on a Tuesday morning ready for the afternoon session, we then stayed at our flat Tuesday night for the Wednesday morning session.  We came home Wednesday afternoon and went back up to Newcastle Thursday afternoon to stay at the flat ready for the full day session on a Friday. 
Our flat is on the Quayside and Liz made me go on the Quayside bus up to Haymarket so that we could easily get to the King George VI building at the university.  Going on a bus is very alien to me as I haven't been on one since I was a child.
The other problem with being partially sighted, is avoiding students who walk around with their noses in their phones!  I can't tell you how Liz deals with them. 
I had no idea what to expect on the course and was feeling slightly nervous at my first session.
I met the other participants in the coffee lounge which is manned by volunteers who have been on previous courses and that really helped.  The others were Carl, Jean and Linda.
We went into the classroom and four more participants, who had just finished their individual sessions,
joined us.  These were Robin, Geoff, Bill and David.  We then had a full group session where we introduced ourselves. After the group session we had an individual one to one session with a student.
This was the format for the course, full group, small group and individual sessions.
I found the work to be hard but the students were really helpful and pushed me on which was really what I needed. The students I spent most time with were Lauren, Olga, Nadine and Laura (D)
During the group sessions we discussed and learnt about dealing with the effects of having a stroke, then in the individual sessions we dealt with the problems I was experiencing which was a really good mix. I was learning to read and how to spell again which was all very alien to me at that time. 
It was a hard week especially on a Friday which was a long day but I achieved it without falling asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment