Saturday 1 February 2014

Back to big school!

This was the week I returned to the Aphasia Centre at Newcastle University. I am really lucky and thankful for getting a second session.

My first session was on Tuesday afternoon, at least Liz and I knew where we were going this time so it was back on the Quayside bus to meet my new class mates.  It was good to see John the volunteer in the coffee room when I arrived and in some ways it didn't feel like I had been away (did Christmas really happen?). Janet the secretary came and introduced herself to the new people but laughed as she already knew me!   I met with my new class mates for a cup of coffee before we went into class and then we were met by another 5 people for our first full group session.  Today was mostly introductions followed by my first individual session and the shock of new students, disappointed that my old students have gone onto other things and I will have to get used to new students and they will have to get used to me but the new ones seem very nice. On Tuesday I have Dominique, Wednesday Emma and on Friday I have Ellie in the morning with Emily in the afternoon.   Sorry but it will take me 3-4 weeks to remember their names!

In my session on Tuesday, Dominique asked me what I knew about Cinderella, so I said "is this the one with the 7 dwarves"  she said "er No".   

It is good to meet other people who have had a stroke and yet again it shows how a stroke affects everyone differently.  One size will never fit all.

It was good to meet with Fiona (the boss) on Wednesday morning so I was able to thank her for giving me the opportunity of a second session.  She asked me what I wanted to get out of this course and we discussed what I wanted to achieve.  It was good to see Rodney the volunteer and he remembered  how I like my coffee!

Wednesday was taken up by a group session and then I was introduced to Emma who gave me more tests to do.

On Friday was a mixture of my group, the whole group and 2 individual sessions which were taken up with yet more tests.  It is interesting to watch new people and how they react on the course.

I understand why we need the tests so how we progress can be measured but hope next week we can get on with some proper work.


No comments:

Post a Comment